Make your face shine upon Your servant, and teach me Your statutes. Psalm 119:135







Wednesday, January 25, 2012

JOY Comes in the Morning

I am TERRIFIED of storms, I mean terrified with a CAPITAL "T". I have been extremely scared since a Tornado came through our backyard many years ago when I was living at home with my parents. It blew all of our doors open at the same time and knocked one of our trees over onto our neighbor's fence in their backyard. We were extremely blessed to have such little damage because this storm went on to do a tremendous amount of damage in other parts of our county.

For so long God has been dealing with me on the issue of "trust". Don't get me wrong, I have learned to trust God with the BIG things...it's the little things that get me. Here lately, my trust has been put to the test with all these "storms" I've been facing not only in nature but also in my personal life. I am the one who stays up watching the weather (James Spann), making sure our home and children are safe in the middle of the night. Ryan always amazes me because he can sleep through anything. It used to frustrate me that I was the one who HAD to stay up (like me being "awake" would make any difference if a tornado hit our home). In my frustration with Ryan one night, when I was awake waiting out the storm, God reminded me of the story in Luke, where Jesus calms the storm (Luke 8:22-25). Jesus asked the disciples this question, "WHY CAN'T YOU TRUST ME?" As I thought about this, God said to me, "You get frustrated with Ryan because he can sleep through anything but have you ever thought that he TRUSTS ME to take care of him, you and your boys?!" OUCH!!!!!!

I read this story again and again, and realized that God really was telling me that I don't trust him. Of course, I denied it at first...TO GOD!! HAHAHAHA!!! That was quite silly. As I admitted before, I trust Him with the big things but it's those little things I want to hold onto thinking I can handle that on my own. God said this to me, "If you can't trust me with EVERYTHING, then you DON'T trust me at all."

CONVICTION!!!!!!!!! I began to pray, asking God to help me find a way to turn my fears into Faith, a way to turn my distrust into COMPLETE trust. I decided to commit some scriptures concerning FEAR to memory and call on those scriptures when I began to feel afraid.

Psalm 46:1 - God is my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Timothy 1:7 - GOD has not given me a spirit of fear, but one of power and of love and of a sound mind.
Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.

Sunday night, when the storms hit and devestated part of our state, I could feel these verses rising up in me. Everytime I would start to feel that fear, I would speak one of the scriptures and it would go away. I slept so peacefully and woke up the next morning feeling like I had CONQUERED the devil on this one.

I said all of that to say this. God promises, "if you will trust me, praise me, continue to serve me trough the storms of this life, I PROMISE I will make it worth your while". When I left my house for work the next morning, the most beautiful sun was shining over the mountain. Everything looked refreshed, clean, NEW.

No matter what kind of storm you are facing, hang on, my friend, because tomorrow is coming. Tomorrow the sun will be shining again and this storm you have been in will have washed away all the dirt and grime that has been clouding your view. You will see clearly again.

I had to stop my car in the middle of the road and thank God for that word. The Storms of this life are scary, they are tough but it's like the scipture says.... "the sorrow may last for the night, but JOY comes in the morning!" PRAISE GOD for the storms and for the newness, the freshness, the CALM after the storm passes.

James 1:12 - Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment