Make your face shine upon Your servant, and teach me Your statutes. Psalm 119:135







Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Common Factor

I have the same routine every morning.  Imagine that, ME, the planner, doing the same thing every morning.  Ryan leaves for work before me, so I am left each day with both boys to get ready as well as myself and be out the door no later than 7:15.  I drive from Leesburg to Centre, get on the bypass, drop Harrison off at daycare, Sam off at his school and then drive myself to my school.  There are times when I get to work and realize that I don't remember driving from Leesburg to Centre.  Not one rememberance of it whatsoever.  I know I get in the car, I know I drop my boys off,  and I know I made it to work but for the life of me I cannot remember the drive in.

This is how I found myself one day with my marriage.  I remember thinking...How did we get here?  How did things get so bad without me realizing it?  How can my husband tell me that he doesn't love me anymore, and that isn't sure he wants to be married to me anymore, and me not SEE it coming? 

Were there warning signs? 
I played back in my head from the beginning of my marriage to that particular day.  As I thought about it, YES, there were MAJOR warning signs.  Warning signs that went back to 6 months into our marriage.  Warning signs that I SHOULD NOT have missed.  It's like driving down the road and not seeing the "Caution: Turn Back" sign or the "DANGER" sign until it's almost too late and you are hanging on the edge of a cliff, fearing for your life.  This is exactly where I was, on the edge of a cliff, about to fall into the deep dark valley of divorce. 

There was one common, missing factor in every year of our marriage, every month of our marriage, every week of our marriage, every day of our marriage.  The common factor was that our marriage was not GOD-CENTERED.  Ryan and I hardly ever took the time to pray together.  We rarely ever talked about God.  We didn't allow him to be the ruling master of our lives, of our marriage.  Are we Christians?  YES!  Do we love God? ABSOLUTELY!  Did we leave God out of our marriage?  Sadly, yes!

So, in this first blog post, this is what I want to say.  No matter what your circumstances, whether you are single, married, divorced, or widowed, allow God to be the center of your life.  He is begging for a relationship with you.  He is knocking constantly for you to let him in to be the ruler of your life.  Don't wait until your life is on the edge of a cliff, teetering on the brink of disaster.  Go. Now. Seek. Find.

 Seek and Find that friend who sticks closer than a brother.  Seek and Find that answer you have been waitng for.  Seek and Find that fulfillment you have been searching for.  Seek and Find...GOD!!!

"But even there, if you seek God, your God, you'll be able to find him if you're serious, looking for him with your whole heart and soul. When troubles come and all these awful things happen to you, in future days you will come back to God, your God, and listen obediently to what he says. God, your God, is above all a compassionate God. In the end he will not abandon you, he won't bring you to ruin, he won't forget the covenant with your ancestors which he swore to them." ~ Deuteronomy 4:29-31 (the message)

No comments:

Post a Comment